Back-to-back two-out singles in the top of the 9th enabled the first-place Rafters to draw even with the second-place Solar Sox to tie the game at 4-4.
But the spectre of a bad bullpen that haunted the Nationals in 2018 regular season somehow made its way to Arizona again as Mesa got a run in the space of three batters (walk-single-single) for a 5-4 walkoff win.
Daniel Johnson, Carter Kieboom (pictured), and Jake Noll played the game in center, at short, and at first, respectively.
- Kieboom went 1-for-3 with a walk and two runs scored, lifting his fall BA to .290
- Johnson was hitless but drove in a run with a sac fly, drew a walk, and swiped his sixth base, but remains on the Interstate at .164
- Noll was 1-for-4 with two whiffs and maintained his .250 average
The two teams, separated by 2½ games in the AFL East, rematch tonight in Salt River.
With the FAs culled, the contingent of notable, age-appropriate Washington minor-leaguers is down to just a few who have seen significant playing time:
• Victor Robles .301/.363/.329, 4SB in 18G (DWL)
• Taylor Gushue .213/.262/.589, 1HR in 17G (DWL)
• Aldrem Corredor .297/.395/.297, 6BB in 13G (VWL)
• Andruw Monasterio .161/.161/.258, 1HR in 11G (VWL)
• Alejandro Flores .138/.219/.138, 8K in 10G (MWL)
Folks interested in seeing the whole list, which includes the AFL, can find them here.