A three-run 6th erased a 2-1 deficit as the Nats held on to hook the Marlins, 5-3, on Tuesday afternoon.
MacKenzie Gore stretched to three innings in his third spring start. He allowed two runs (one earned) on three hits, walked one, and struck out one.
Despite being a road game, none of the watchlist players were in the starting lineup. Here’s how the four that did appear in the game fared while coming off the bench in the 7th:
- Jeter Downs replaced C.J. Abrams at SS and went hitless Forrest Gump pause again
- Jeremy De La Rosa subbed for Victor Robles in CF and led off the 9th with a single, stole second, and eventually scored on a sac fly
- Drew Millas was the second backstop after Riley Adams and singled to push De La Rosa to third base in the 9th
- Armando Cruz replaced Luis García at 2B and was hit by a pitch in the 9th
Washington heads to Lakeland this afternoon to visit the Tigers. Chad Kuhl is slated to make his first start and third appearance. The game will be broadcast on MLB.tv and MLB Audio with …wait for it… the Detroit feeds.
Prior to the game, RHP Joan Adon was optioned to Rochester while the following pitchers and players were reassigned to minor-league camp (watchlisters in italics):
- RHPs Jackson Tetreault, Anthony Castro, Zach Brzykcy, Gerardo Carrillo, and Tommy Romero
- LHPs Alberto Baldonado, Evan Lee, and Francisco Perez
- C Brady Lindsly
- IFs Lucius Fox and Erick Mejia
- OFs Yasel Antuna, Donovan Casey, and Derek Hill
As WaPo’s Andrew Golden noted, all of last November’s Rule 5 additions are still with the team.