Things are finally starting to pick up on the transaction front. Baseball America, after going most of the offseason with Mordecai Brown digit count of posts, released its second transactions post this month!
• RHP Allen Webster
• LHP Nick Raquet
Webster has spent parts of five seasons in the majors with the Red Sox… wait for it… the Diamondbacks, and the Cubs. Injuries have limited the 30-y.o. to just 35 innings the past two seasons. Raquet was a 3rd Rd. pick in the 2017 Draft out of the College of William and Mary but hit his ceiling at High-A (37GS, 4.32 ERA, 1.43 WHIP), and fared very poorly in the 2019 AFL (9G, 2GS, 11⅔ IP, 14H, 13R, 11ER, 9BB, 12K).
Word on the street is that the minor-league games began yesterday, with the Nats playing the Marlins to a 1-0 win. Some of the unofficial highlights, courtesy of Mr. Dennis Dunlap (I believe he is Alex’s father):
• Romero – 2IP, 0R, 2H, 2BB, 2K – ended the 2nd inning by picking off the runner at 1st base.
• Cate – 2IP, 0R, 2H, 1BB, 2K – the shutout was preserved in the 4th by a strong throw from Bautista in CF to Pineda to nail a Marlins runner at the plate.
• Irvin – 2IP, 0R, 0H, 0BB, 4K – 2 clean innings
• Wells – 1IP, 0R, 1H, 2K – the inning ended on a caught stealing by Dunlap
• Maldonado – 1IP, 0R, 0H, 1K – clean inning
• Teel – 1IP, 0R, 0H, 1K – clean inning
• Banks – BB, stolen base
• Bichette – infield single, run
• Mendoza – 2B to the LCF gap, RBI
• Dunlap – 1B
• Emiliani – 1B
The big boys will in Jupiter this afternoon before heading back to West Palm Beach tomorrow.