The Tigers got three runs in the 9th against AAA fodder to send the Nats to a 7-5 loss – their ninth in 16 spring training games.
Erick Fedde pitched into the 4th in his second ST start, third appearance overall. He gave up two hits, walked two, and a hit a batter while getting 10 outs.
The loss went to Sam Freeman, who retired the last of four batters faced after starting the inning with a triple-single-walk sequence. He left the game with a 5-5 tie. David Hernandez secured the loss with sac fly and some help from Carter Kieboom’s third error of the spring.
Kieboom (2-3, 2B, RBI) was one of several notable minor-leaguers to appear in the game, all coming off the bench. Here’s how the rest did:
- Jake Noll replaced Eric Thames at 1B and homered to celebrate his 26th birthday.
- Taylor Gushue subbed for Wellington Castillo behind the plate and grounded out to lead off the 8th.
- Yadiel Hernandez took over RF from Andrew Stevenson and drove in two with a big fly.
- Luis Garcia singled to lead off the 7th and came around to score but struck out in the 9th.
The Nats are off tomorrow, the last scheduled day off before they leave Florida prior to the “homecoming game” at Nats Park on the 24th.
Earlier today, the following roster moves were made:
• C Raudy Read to AAA Fresno
REASSIGNED TO MINOR LEAGUE CAMP
• RHP Paulo Espino
• RHP Jhonatan German
• C Jakson Reetz
• RHP Derek Self
• 1B/3B Drew Ward
• OF Mac Williamson