Three errors rendered all three Marlins runs unearned in a 3-1 win over the Nationals.
Tanner Roark retired the side in the 1st and worked around a leadoff
Robles HBP with a double play before giving up a two-out double. Back-to-back errors by Anthony Rendon extended the inning and led to two unearned runs.
Roark would suffer the loss and needed 43 pitches to get through the two innings.
Victor Robles and Jose Marmolejos got the start in place of Bryce Harper (ingrown toenail) and Ryan Zimmerman (“soreness”) in right field and first base, respectively. The two combined to go 0-for-4 with three strikeouts.
Here’s how the Watchlist players did:
● Kelvin Gutierrez pinch-hit for the starting DH (Wilmer Difo) and walked, singled, and scored the only Nats run.
● Andrew Stevenson subbed for Robles in RF and went 0-for-1 with a walk and a strikeout.
● Rafael Bautista followed Michael Taylor in CF and was 1-for-2 with a whiff.
● Osvaldo Abreu took over 2B from Howie Kendrick but was hitless in two AB’s.
● Jefry Rodriguez walked two and struck out one while pitching a scoreless 6th.
Gutierrez’s and Bautista’s singles were the first hit of the spring for both players. Robles and Marmolejos are tied with Moises Alou for the most hits this spring with four (4).
The Nats return to the House of Mouse to take on the Bra ves (split squad). A.J. Cole is scheduled to pitch. The game can be heard on MLB Audio, Atlanta feed.