Washington got back in the win column for spring training with an 8-4 win over Detroit.
Ben Revere and Matt Skole each smacked two-run blasts while Scott Sizemore put up a one-spot with a solo shot as the Nats overcame deficits of 2-0 and 4-2.
Stephen Strasburg got the start and spayed five of the first Motor City kitties he faced before giving up a two-run homer to Bryan Holaday with two out in the 2nd. The Nats 2009 retired the next batter to finish with a line of 2IP, 2H, 2R, 2ER, BB, 5K.
Taylor Hill was awarded the win by vritue of pitching two scoreless innings in the 6th and 7th. Sammy Solis did his best imitation of Nuke LaLoosh by issuing a pair of walks with a single in between to load the bases with nobody out. He struck out the next two batters, then got a grounder to short to escape the jam and earn the hold.
Here’s how the watchlist minor-leaguers fared on Saturday afternoon:
• Brian Goodwin pinch-hit for Revere and lofted a sac fly and drew a walk at the plate while replacing the former Jay in CF.
• Skole struck out in his first AB to go 1-for-2 with 2RBI as Anthony Rendon’s sub at 3B.
• Pedro Severino started at catcher and reached base twice with a single and a walk.
• Spencer Kieboom followed Severino behind the plate and went 1-for-2 while throwing out a runner.
• A.J. Cole was roughed up for two runs on four hits, including a home run in his only inning of work
The Nats return to Jupiter tomorrow to play the St. Louis Cardinals. Blake Treinen is expected to start. The game will be broadcast on the MLB Network with the Cardinals TV feed, which may confuse some folks.