The Yankees drew a two-out walk and hit a two-run home run with… wait for it… two outs in the bottom of the 9th to hand the Nats their third loss in four days, 4-2.
Cory “Don’t Call Me Roger” Abbott got the start and tossed two scoreless innings, issuing a walk and striking out two. Gerardo Carrillo, who began the 9th with two groundouts, took the loss.
No watchlist players were in the starting lineup. Here’s a look at how they did coming off the bench or in from the ‘pen:
- James Wood pinch-ran for Derek Hill in the 3rd and scored a run, then manned CF and went 0-for-2 with a strikeout.
- Jake Alu took over 3B duties from Ildemaro Vargas in the 5th and flew out in the 7th.
- Israel Pineda followed Riley Adams behind the plate in the 5th and connected for a single in the 7th. He threw out a runner to end the 8th inning.
- Evan Lee pitched the 6th and allowed a hit and a walk but no runs while fanning one.
- Jeremy De La Rosa subbed for RF Stone Garrett in the 7th and struck out in the 8th.
- Drew Millas pinch-hit for DH Lucius Fox and flew out in the 8th.
The Nats return to West Palm Beach this afternoon to host the Marlins. MacKenzie Gore is expected to make his second start. The game can be heard on MLB.com (do you have to ask? Yes, it’s the Miami broadcast).