The wait is over, as the four full-season affiliates officially announced their Opening Day rosters. Let’s take a look at how it breaks down by the Watchlist:
Pitchers – Kyle McGowin, Austen Williams
Batters – Carter Kieboom, Jose Marmolejos, Raudy Read
Pitchers – Joan Baez, James Bourque, Ben Braymer, Wil Crowe, Taylor Guilbeau, Sterling Sharp
Batters – Tres Barrera, Luis Garcia, Drew Ward, Rhett Wiseman
Pitchers – Brigham Hill*, Gabe Klobosits*, Malvin Peña, Nick Raquet, Jackson Tetreault
Batters – Telmito Agustin, Aldrem Corredor, Cole Freeman, Omar Meregildo
Pitchers – Tim Cate, Aaron Fletcher, Angel Guillen, Jake Irvin, Francys Peguero, Seth Romero*, Carson Teel
Batters – Yasel Antuna*, Gage Canning, KJ Harrison, Pablo O’Connor, Israel Pineda, Jacob Rhinesmith, Jose Sanchez, Cody Wilson
* = on the 7-Day DL
No true MIAs since most folks not listed were in short-season ball last summer.
Now for some thoughts…
• Yes, Carter Kieboom had a good spring and good fall (SSS’s for both), but it’s unusual for someone with so little AA experience to get pushed up to AAA so soon
• Likewise for Luis Garcia, who seemed to be destined to spend another 6-8 weeks at High-A as Kieboom seemed to be destined for the same at AA
• In keeping with the SS theme here, there will be no DH for Yasel Antuna apparently. This probably means one of two things (A) he’s not healthy enough period (B) they don’t want him to start playing until he can play defensively
• As usual, the Hagerstown roster looks loaded but this is mostly a function of the nexus between age, experience, and opportunity.
• And the Potomac roster has a lot of “experience.” Again.
• Your emergency options at Harrisburg: Erick Fedde, Spencer Kieboom, and (H/T to my Hagerstown Guy) Luis Sardinas
• Finally, the Fresno roster isn’t quite so bad – the pitching looks like it might be good enough, but will there be enough offense?