Both teams scored all their runs in the 1st inning as the Cards edged the Nats, 3-2 Friday afternoon to lose for the third time in four games.
Matt Adams and Jake Noll hit back-to-back solo HRs with two out in the 1st to give Washington an early 2-0 lead, with Adams celebrating yet another start at 1B and Noll celebrating his 25th birthday.
Patrick Corbin “worked on some stuff” as St. Louis went double-single-double-single-single with their first five batters to give away that lead and fall behind 3-2. While he turned in three more scoreless innings, allowing a sixth hit to lead off the 2nd, he did not walk or strike out a batter.
The Nats had a chance to draw even or take the lead in the 3rd as Victor Robles singled with one out and took third on a Kurt Suzuki double. The two were stranded when neither Adams not Noll could hit one out of the infield as they both grounded out to end the threat.
Noll (3B) would finish 1-for-3 with a strikeout while Robles (CF) went 2-for-3 with a walk, a whiff, and was caught stealing.
Here’s how the rest of the watchlist players did:
● Tanner Rainey worked around a baserunner (not a walk!) while pitching a scoreless 7th
● Carter Kieboom played 2B and lined out to first base in the 8th
● Luis Garcia played SS and grounded out to second base in the 8th
● Austen Williams retired the side in order (including a backwards K to the last batter) in the 8th
● Jacob Rhinesmith played RF and singled with one out in the 9th
● Telmito Agustin played LF and grounded out to shortstop in the 9th
The Nats return to West Palm Beach tonight to host the Marlins. The game will be broadcast locally on MASN and 1067.FM and on MLB.tv and MLB Audio.