The wait is over, as the four full-season affiliates officially announced their Opening Day rosters. Let’s take a look at how it breaks down by the Watchlist:
Pitchers – A.J. Cole, Austin Voth
Batters – Rafael Bautista, Brian Goodwin, Pedro Severino, Matt Skole
Pitchers – Ryan Brinley, Jimmy Cordero, Erick Fedde, Tyler Mapes*, Phillips Valdez, John Simms
Batters – Osvaldo Abreu, Raudy Read, Andrew Stevenson, Drew Ward
Pitchers – Joan Baez, Grant Borne, Matthew Crownover, Taylor Guilbeau, Tommy Peterson*, Mariano Rivera III
Batters – Telmito Agustin, Kelvin Gutierrez, Victor Robles, Ian Sagdal, Rhett Wiseman
Pitchers – Weston Davis, McKenzie Mills, Jorge Pantoja, Sterling Sharp, Tyler Watson
Batters – Nick Banks, Aldrem Corredor, Anderson Franco, Dan Johnson, Carter Kieboom, Sheldon Neuse, Jake Noll, Blake Perkins, Juan Soto
* = on the 7-Day DL
M.I.A. (Excluding DSL/GCL players) – Jakson Reetz, Gilberto Mendez, Francys Peguero, Jacob Howell
X.S.T. (and/or on Auburn roster) – Steven Fuentes, Yonathan Ramirez
I resisted the urge to include a W.T.F. category, but I’m sure folks will supply their own. Now for some thoughts…
• That Hagerstown roster is something, isn’t it? Fortunately, I still have my spy out there—we just had a chat last weekend—so we should have some first-hand opinions and observations before these guys make their way to Woodbridge.
• Seriously, I think just about everyone we’d been hoping to make it there instead of Auburn did.
• You could complain about the composition of the Potomac roster, but this really par for the course — all eyes will be on Robles, perhaps Baez, but I’m looking forward to seeing Agustin, who has been Robles’s shadow for most of his time in the organization.
• Harrisburg is a lot like Potomac, but with a couple of more prospects, much older veterans, mixed in with some OG’s and a few social promotions.
• And Syracuse? Well, it’s the highest level and easily the oldest this year. It’s built to supply fungible replacements and stopgaps.
• Finally, my first post for MASN is scheduled for Wednesday. when it’s online, I’ll link to it here.