The Nats fell into a 4-0 hole in the middle innings and fell one run short, 4-3 to the Astros last night in Viera. It was the second straight defeat for the D.C. nine.
Bronson Arroyo got the start and tossed three perfect innings with three strikeouts. Houston had no problem with the next two relievers, getting Gott for two runs (and the loss) in the 4th and humoring Laffey for a pair in the 6th.
None of the watchlisters were in the starting lineup. Here’s a rundown of how they did coming off the bench (or from the ‘pen):
• Christopher Bostick subbed for Dan Murphy at 2B and went 1-for-2 and committed an error
• Matt Skole followed Anthony Rendon at 3B and was 1-for-2 with a run scored
• Trea Turner replaced Danny Espinosa at SS and went 0-for-1 with an RBI on a sac fly
• Abel De Los Santos pitched the 8th and worked around a leadoff single for a scoreless inning
• A.J. Cole gave up a two-out double in the 9th but retired the fourth batter on a flyout for a zero on the scoreboard
Prior to the game, the first set of cuts were announced with IF Wilmer Difo, LHP Matt Grace, and RHP Taylor Jordan optioned to AAA while C’s Raudy Read and Brian Jeroloman, RHPs Paolo Espino and Taylor Hill were reassigned to minor-league camp.