Among the slew of transactions that were received today, the promotion of 22-year-old Austin Voth stands out.
The move comes despite his worst outing in High-A this past Wednesday when he gave up five runs on six hits to Winston-Salem, chased by his second HR in 37⅔ innings. He’ll join former teammate John Simms as one of two pitchers to advance two levels this season, which has been rare since current GM Mike Rizzo took the helm from leath..er, previous GM Jim Bowden in 2009.
Here’s a rundown of the other moves made today…
• OF Eury Perez optioned from Washington (end of rehab)
• RHP Ryan Mattheus activated from the 7-Day DL
• RHP Neil Holland reassigned from Syracuse
• RHP Sam Runion placed on the 7-Day DL
• LHP Matt Purke recalled to Washington, placed on the 60-Day DL
• LHP Bryan Harper reassigned from Harrisburg
• LHP Hector Silvestre reassigned from Hagerstown
• OF Isaac Ballou promoted from Hagerstown
• IF-OF Cody Dent reassigned from Potomac
• RHP Reynaldo Lopez reassigned from Auburn
• LHP Joseph Webb activated from the 7-Day DL
• LHP David Napoli reassigned from Hagerstown
Now, it’s certainly possible that the corresponding moves of Silvestre and Lopez are also promotions, but in a season where it feels like I need to take an Ex-Lax to keep up with all the moves, I’m hedging my bets with the more neutral verb.
Apologies in advance… the GBI is going to be delayed a day or so as some of you may have noticed that my website was having server issues earlier.