After taking three straight one-run games, the Nationals have now lost two straight, falling to the Braves 2-1 this afternoon in Viera.
The offense managed just seven hits, two of which came from Tony Gwynn Jr. who was given the start after the news that CF Denard Span will require an additional abdominal surgery while Michael Taylor was given the day off.
Gio Gonzalez got the start and spun two scoreless before giving way to Tanner Roark, who was lit up for both Atlanta runs on an Eric Young Jr. homer in the 3rd and took the loss.
The Nats rallied in the 9th as Matt Skole (1-for-1) singled and scored on a two-out double by catcher Steven Lerud. Wilmer Difo (0-for-1) struck out to end the game, leaving both the tying and winning runs on base.
A rundown of how the notable minor-leaguers performed in the loss:
• Drew Vettleson subbed for Bryce Harper in RF and drew a walk
• Emmanuel Burriss took over at SS for Ian Desmond and struck out in his only AB
• Jeff Kobernus went 0-for-1 after following Tyler Moore in LF
• Matt Grace retired four of six batters faced over an inning and a 1/3rd, walking one and striking out one
• Taylor Hill pitched a scoreless inning, pitching around a one-out single while catching Kelly Johnson looking to end the 8th
The Nats head to Jupiter to take on the Marlins tomorrow, with Max Scherzer slated to make his second start for the Nats. The game can be heard locally on 1580 AM or on MLB Radio.