Basically, it’s the callups from Syracuse and the tweaks to the Potomac roster for the playoffs. As always, if more moves are spotted in the next 24-36 hours, this page will be updated.
• RHP Brad Peacock recalled to Washington
• RHP Yunesky Maya recalled to Washington
• RHP Craig Stammmen recalled to Washington
• LHP Atahualpa Severino recalled to Washington
• OF Corey Brown recalled to Washington
• 2B Steve Lombardozzi recalled to Washington
• RHP Garrett Mock designated for assignment
• RHP Adam Carr released
• RHP Erik Davis placed on 7-Day DL
• IF Sean Nicol assigned from Potomac
• RHP Trevor Holder activated from 7-Day DL
The Big Board is close to frozen for 2011, but a few transactions of note have taken place the past week or so…
• OF Roger Bernadina recalled to Washington
• RHP Christian Garcia assigned from Auburn
• OF Chris Curran assigned from Hagerstown
• UT Sean Nicol assigned from Potomac
• LHP Tom Milone recalled to Washington
• UT Mills Rogers assigned from Hagerstown
• C Andruth Ramirez assigned from GCL
• IF Adam Fox activated from Temporary IL
For those wondering about “GBI,” I’m delaying it until Tuesday for the final edition, in which I’ll pick the bat & arm for each category for the 2011 season.
UPDATE: As expected, Tom Milone has been recalled along with a couple of procedural moves.
A couple of notes this afternoon from the PR folks, so let’s try to get caught up from the last post of this sort…
• RHP Jeff Mandel activated from 7-Day DL
• IF Adam Fox placed on temporary IL
• C Miguel Perez activated from 7-Day DL
• RHP Trevor Holder placed on 7-Day DL
• IF Justin Bloxom activated from 7-Day DL
• IF Khayyan Norfork activated from 7-Day DL
Reporting from the road office in lovely Mahwah, New Jersey… A few transactions not noted previously.
• IF Tug Hulett activated
• IF Adam Fox returned to Harrisburg
• OF Bryce Harper placed on 7-Day DL
• C Miguel Perez placed on 7-Day DL
• C Devin Ivany activated from 7-Day DL
• Bryan Harper assigned from Washington
• Randolph Oduber assigned from Hagerstown
Bunch a moves that past couple of days. Without further ado…
• Activated LHP Tom Milone from 7-Day DL
• Activated OF Archie Gilbert from 7-Day DL, assigned to Potomac
• Received C Miguel Perez in trade with Pittsburgh Pirates
• Assigned C Brian Peacock to Potomac
• Placed J.P. Ramirez on 7-Day DL
• Assigned C Andruth Ramirez to GCL
• Placed IF Justin Bloxom on 7-Day DL
• Assigned IF Sean Nicol from Hagerstown
• Activated RHP Ben Graham from 7-Day DL
• Assigned RHP Tyler Hanks from Hagerstown
• Assigned IF Roberto Perez from Auburn
I’ve been told that Gilbert’s stay will be just a few days. Byron Kerr has also passed along word in his latest column that LHP Sammy Solis has been experiencing elbow inflammation, so it might be another turn or two before he’s back on the mound.
A few more moves today, August 10, in red.
In addition to the assignment of catcher Brian Peacock to Harrisburg (
corresponding move TBA), the Potomac Nationals announced three more moves today…
• LHP Sammy Solis placed on 7-Day DL
• RHP Trevor Holder received from GCL, activated from 7-Day DL
• C Andruth Ramirez received from GCL
We don’t have any news regarding the reason Solis’s stay on the DL.
With a “TBA” for tomorrow, it’s quite likely that Mr. Holder will be the starter tomorrow night, having last thrown on Wednesday for an inning in the GCL. Ramirez is most likely on call until Peacock returns or if a longer-term solution is needed (bear in mind how close Myrtle Beach and Viera are in terms of geography, Hagerstown is leaving for a roadtrip tomorrow night, and Potomac is returning home on Monday).
UPDATE #1: Devin Ivany has indeed been placed on the DL, which means Peacock’s stay will be longer than day-to-day. Evan Bronson has been listed as tomorrow night’s starter for Potomac.
The Nationals have signed free-agent RHP Christian Garcia and assigned him to Auburn. Garcia appeared in one game for AA Trenton in 2010, five games in 2009. A third-round pick for the Yankees in 2004, Garcia has had Tommy John surgery twice and missed the entire 2007 season, but prior to his injuries he was considered to have three plus pitches (FB, CV, CU) and was placed on the 40-man roster in 2008. He turns 26 in three weeks, so this is clearly another case of the Nats trying to catch lightning in a bottle.
As alluded in the comments and writeups yesterday, today LHP Danny Rosenbaum has been officially moved from the Potomac roster to the Harrisburg roster. Taking his place on the Potomac roster — and presumably his slot in the rotation — is RHP Erik Davis.
Both pitchers last pitched on Sunday and will likely start again on Saturday.
Rosenbaum had been 6-5 with a 2.59 ERA, a 3.05 FIP, a 1.17 WHIP and 108 K’s in 132 IP with Potomac. His ERA and FIP were both third-best in the Carolina League, his strikeout tally second, and he led the league in innings pitched.
Davis had been 5-7 with a 4.79 ERA, a 3.87 FIP, a 1.61 WHIP and 93K in 94 IP with Harrisburg. After a strong April (2R allowed in 15⅔ IP), Davis has struggled, particularly in the month of July where he’s lost five of six decisions and allowed a .329 OBA.
The Senators also formally announced that recently acquired OF Erik Komatsu, profiled over the weekend, has been assigned to Harrisburg. He is likely to make his debut tonight in Reading.
Still waiting for the official word on Danny Rosenbaum’s promotion, ahem, reassignment, but noticed the following moves in the meantime…
• OF Michael Aubrey placed on 7-Day DL
• LHP Tom Milone placed on 7-Day DL
• Activated OF Roger Bernadina
• Activated RHP Brad Meyers from 7-Day DL
• Assigned Evan Bronson from Potomac
• Optioned Atahualpa Severino from Washington
• Recalled Collin Balester to Washington
• Assigned C Adrian Nieto from Potomac
These are all dated today on MiLB.com, and I strongly suspect that at least one, if not both, of the two players put on the DL have been placed there retroactively.
Just to recap, the following moves were made over the weekend…
• RHP Yunesky Maya recalled to Washington, optioned back
• LHP Atahualpa Severino recalled to Washington
• IF/OF Brian Bixler recalled to Washington
• Roger Bernadina optioned to Syracuse
• Garrett Mock assigned from Harrisburg
• RHP Chien-Mien Wang activated from 60-Day DL
In case anyone ever wondered, this is not unlike court reporting in a small town… a lot of reading between the lines and being unable to make a definitive statement, even when you *know* what’s really going on.
UPDATE #1: A couple more moves made overnight…
Photo Credit: Futurebacks.com
There’s a whole lot less
(right now) about SS Zach Walters, acquired in the trade for Jason Marquis, but in the interest of serving our readers…
A 9th-round pick last year out of the Univ. of San Diego, Walters is your prototypical “athletic shortstop” — raw power, runs well, has range and arm… and makes a ton of errors (40 in 160 games). Injuries dogged him in college but he’s stayed off the DL this year and last.
Sickels graded him a “C” in his 2011 Prospect Book and cautioned that his plate discipline needs improvement. So far so good, as he’s improved his OBP from .338 to .377 while still batting .302 and improving his slugging percentage from .440 to .485.
Baseball America describes the switch-hitter as having “all the hallmarks of a future utility player,” and say the scouts have doubts that his arm and range will improve enough to stick at shortstop.
If he is indeed assigned to Potomac, I’ll obviously have more to say after the next homestand on August 8-14. In the meantime, I’m off to Woodbridge…
UPDATE: Bill Ladson is reporting that Walters will be placed on the Potomac roster. With Walters leaving from Michigan, his debut is most likely going to happen on the road in Salem, Virginia, where the P-Nats begin a three-game series on Tuesday.