The second round of cuts wasn’t too painful or unexpected… just a pair of 22-y.o.’s that most reasonable folks have penciled in as the starters for Harrisburg in the persons of A.J. Cole and Felipe Rivero.
Today’s games? Well, perhaps a little more distressing as the Astros and Braves both rallied in the bottom of the 9th to hand the Nats losses of 3-2 and 10-9 respectively.
In Lake Buenavista, Chris Young got the start and was assaulted for a two-run homer by Freddie Freeman with two outs in the 3rd to erase an early 1-0 lead. He gave up three hits and a walk and struck out three over three innings. Robert Benincasa took the loss after a leadoff single, a steal, and a one-out single plated the third Atlanta run.
Tanner Roark took the hill in Kissimmee but was only able to keep the Astros at bay in the second as Houston scored in 1st, 3rd, and 4th innings as the 27-y.o. struggled in his third outing, giving up three runs on three hits and two walks and was lifted with one out in the 4th. Xavier Cedeno couldn’t hold the 9-7 lead and coughed up three runs on four hits while retiring just two batters for the blown-save-loss.
Here’s a rundown of how the notable minor-leaguers did this afternoon:
• Jeff Kobernus subbed in CF and went 1-for-2
• Jason Martinson subbed at SS and went 0-for-1
• Caleb Ramsey subbed in RF and went 1-for-1 with an RBI
• Michael Taylor subbed in LF and went 0-for-1
• Cutter Dykstra subbed at 3B and went 0-for-1 with a K and committed an error
• Matt Skole subbed at 1B and went 0-for-1 with a K
• Zach Walters started at 2B and was 0-for-3
• Drew Vettleson pinch-ran for the DH but did not get an AB
• Sandy Leon started at C and was 0-for-2
• Danny Rosenbaum pitched two scoreless innings, giving up a walk and two hits while fanning one
• Steve Souza subbed in RF and went 0-for-1
• Destin Hood pinch ran and scored a run and subbed in LF
• Brian Goodwin pinch-hit for Hood and subbed for him in LF and was 0-for-2 with a strikeout
• Eury Perez started in RF and shifted to CF when Souza came in and was 1-for-4 with an RBI double but also committed an error
• Aaron Barrett stranded two runners in the 7th and pitched a scoreless 8th to keep his ERA at 0.00
The Nats go full-squad tomorrow afternoon (sounds dirtier than what it means) as they host the Mets. Ross Detwiler is expected to make the start. There is no broadcast from either team.