The Nats rallied for three in the bottom of the 7th to overcome a 6-4 deficit and held on for 7-6 win that brings Washington’s 2015 spring record to .500 at 9-9-3.
Doug Fister was dinged for four runs on seven hits, including two home runs as he pitched four and a 1/3rd innings in his fourth Grapefruit League start.
Drew Ward made his first major-league spring start and singled in his first at-bat to load the bases, pushing along Michael Taylor and Clint Robinson who had drawn one-out walks in the second. Ward would finish 1-for-2 while Taylor singled and scored in the 4th to go 1-for-3 on the day.
Among the notable minor-leaguers to appear off the bench:
- Tony Renda entered the game in the 6th as the 2B and went 0-for-2 in place of Ward in the lineup.
- Stephen Perez pinch-ran for SS Ian Desmond, scored in the 7th and took over shortstop duties in the 8th.
- Likewise for Drew Vettleson for RF Bryce Harper.
- And the same Matt Skole for 1B Ryan Zimmerman.
- Cutter Dykstra flew out to RF as a pinch-hitter in the 7th.
- D.K. Carey replaced Taylor in CF but did not come to bat.
Following the game, the Nationals optioned RHP Taylor Jordan to AAA while reassigning 1B-3B Matt Skole and RHP Evan Meek to minor-league camp. RHP Heath Bell, who earned a save for closing out the game with a 1-2-3 ninth, was released.