Washington put up two spots in the both 2nd and 3rd innings en route to 5-2 win over St. Louis this afternoon in Jupiter, FL.
Blake Treinen got the win with two scoreless innings in his first appearance this spring, allowing one hit. Nick Lee set the side down in order in the 9th again to earn the save. A trio of relievers – Nick Masset, Aaron Laffey, and Michael Brady – earned holds for one scoreless inning apiece in the 6th, 7th, and 8th.
Matt Skole (0-1, BB) and Tree Turner (0-3, SB) got the start at 3B and SS respecitvely and both drove in a run: Turner on a groundout to 2B in the 2nd that he couldn’t beat out for a single as he did in his first AB, Skole on a sacrifice fly in the 3rd.
Spencer Kieboom was the starting DH but was 0-for-2 with a whiff.
Here’s a rundown of how the watchlist minor-leaguers did:
• Brian Goodwin spelled Michael Taylor in CF and was 0-for-2 with a K
• Wilmer Difo subbed for Turner at SS but was also 0-for-2
• Chrisopher Bostick followed Stephen Drew at 2B and went 0-for-1 with a walk
• Pedro Severino doubled in the final Nats run in the 8th as Kieboom’s replacement at DH and was 1-for-2 overall
• Matt Grace hit a batter, walked a batter, and struck out a batter as the first reliever to follow Treinen
The Nats return to Viera tomorrow afternoon to play the Marlins. The game will not be broadcast on either radio or TV.