As noted in the comments, the Nationals have released the following minor-leaguers:
• RHP Clay Hensley (offseason pickup)
• 2B Kyle Attl (GCL, Auburn)
• 2B Taylor Wrenn (offseason pickup)
• LHP Casey Selsor (Auburn)
• RHP Greg Holt (Potomac)
• RHP Martires Arias (Rule 5 Draftee, AAA Phase)
As was the case a year ago, there aren’t any real surprises here. Except that I believe there may be more coming because this is the earliest I’ve written this post the past three springs. Baseball America has already done a Transactions post for this week, which covered the week of March 6-12. Most of these releases were dated yesterday.
If not, the standard caveat applies… this is likely the end of the line for most of these guys, so remember that before commenting.
UPDATE: This afternoon Baseball America did indeed have more names in its weekly post, which were as follows:
• RHP Kelvin Rodriguez (GCL)
• C Kevin Flynn (GCL)
• LHP Joel Barrientos (Auburn)
• LHP Elliott Waterman (Auburn)
• OF Jordan Poole (Auburn)
• RHP Silvio Medina (Auburn)
• C Thor Meeks (Hagerstown)
• IF Wes Schill (Hagerstown)
• RHP Cameron Selik (Potomac)
• RHP Rob Wort (Potomac)
Kelvin Rodriguez becomes this year’s GCL surprise — a pitcher that put up decent numbers, which should remind us of the perils of scouting by boxscore. Most of the others, particularly the large contingent from Auburn, which was a major disappointment last summer, should not be considered a shock.