As is often the case, the effect of activating someone on the parent club ripples throughout the minors…
• Removed 3B Ryan Zimmerman from Potomac roster, activated from 15-Day DL
• Released LHP Niko Spezial*
• Released RHP Andy Santana*
• Released OF Hayden Jennings*
* Per latest BA Transaction post.
• 1B-OF Tyler Moore optioned from Washington
• LHP Sammy Solis placed on the 7-Day DL
• UT Mike McQuillan activated from the 7-Day DL
• OF Narciso Mesa reassigned from Potomac
• RHP Nick Pivetta activated from the 7-Day DL
• RHP Cody Davis activated from the 7-Day DL
• OF Greg Zebrack reassigned from Hagerstown
• RHP Reynaldo Lopez reassigned from Hagerstown
• LHP R.C. Orlan reassigned from Hagerstown
A corresponding move to make room for Moore has not yet been announced; Syracuse is at 25-man limit while Harrisburg is at 24 and could absorb a player reassigned if Washington so chooses.
It’s obviously concerning that Solis, who was hit hard on Memorial Day but did not appear to have diminished velocity, is back on the DL after just three starts total.
As perverted as this may sound, we can only hope that it’s just his back (on which he has had surgery and was the reason cited for his previous trip to the DL) and not his left arm that’s bothering him because a bad back can be more readily treated versus a bad shoulder or elbow.
For the folks champing at the bit for promotions, the Nationals will sometimes realign the Low-A and High-A rosters after their All-Star Break (June 16-18) and in between when the Auburn and GCL rosters are set. (Auburn begins play June 13; the GCL on June 21).
As always, if/when further moves related to these become known, this space will be updated.
Multiple online sources are now reporting that it is indeed elbow soreness that’s sent Sammy Solis to the DL. This, of course, is about as bad as it gets for a pitcher who’s already had one TJ surgery (2012).