Another day, another series of transactions. Here’s the rundown…
• OF Eury Perez recalled to Washington, placed on 60-Day DL
• C Sandy Leon optioned from Washington
• RHP Christian Garcia activated from 7-Day DL
• RHP Omar Poveda demoted from Syracuse
• RHP Blake Schwartz demoted from Harrisburg
• LHP Sammy Solis reassigned from Harrisburg
• LHP Justin Thomas reassigned to XST (Auburn)
The Eury Perez move is a means to an end to get Greg Dobbs onto the 40-man roster, as has been reported ad infinitum (and whole lot of other places, too, Skipper). I suspect a few more moves may be coming, as it seems odd to have three catchers and three outfielders on the Chiefs roster.
The demotions of Poveda and Schwartz are being judged as such because of the poor performances thus far. Schwartz’s turn to pitch is not until Sunday and yesterday’s rainout coupled with an off day on Monday means Potomac is not hurting for starting pitchers just yet. The continuation game on Tuesday and doubleheader on Wednesday are another matter, but the timing doesn’t seem to sync, especially if the brass decide to move Sammy Solis from the Suns to the P-Nats in time for his next scheduled turn on Wednesday or Thursday of next week.
Another move from Potomac is forthcoming, but has yet to be announced. Most likely: a pitcher (there are 14 active as of this writing) being placed on the DL with a strained rosteruem (pronounce it phonetically ;-).
As always, if/when that news comes, this space will be updated.