Ryan Zimmerman and Adam LaRoche homered off former Nationals farmhand Yunesky Maya (SSDO) in an 8-2 win over the Braves at home, while the Cardinals tied the Nats, 4-4 in 10 innings on the road.
Destin Hood homered in the top of the 8th of the Cardinals game to give the Nats a brief 4-1 lead that was answered with three unearned runs in the bottom of the 8th off Daniel Stange, who gave up three hits and was charged with a blown save.
In Viera, Ross Detwiler labored through two innings in his second start of the spring, scattering six hits while allowing just one run. The win went to Taylor Jordan in relief. Jordan struck out six in three innings while giving up a run on three hits.
Chris Young got the start in Jupiter, going three innings with a run scored against him on two hits and three walks. A.J. Cole struck out three in two and 2/3rds scoreless innings as the first man out of the ‘pen. He allowed two hits but no walks. Aaron Barrett was the second reliever and fanned two of the four batters he faced, all of which he retired. Taylor Hill pitched a 1-2-3 tenth inning to preserve the tie.
Here’s a rundown of how the notable minor-leaguers fared today, the first of three split-squad doubleheaders this spring:
• Brian Goodwin played CF and went 0-for-2
• Stephen Perez played SS and went 0-for-1 with a strikeout
• Isaac Ballou played LF and went 0-for-1
• Zach Walters played 3B and went 0-for-1
• Matt Skole played 1B and went 0-for-1 with a strikeout
• Jeff Kobernus played 2B went 1-for-1 with a run scored
• Eury Perez started in RF and went 0-for-3 with two K’s
• Drew Vettleson played RF and went 0-for-1
• Jason Martinson played SS and went 1-for-2 with a run scored and a K
• Michael Taylor played CF and went 0-for-2
• Hood played LF and went 1-for-2 with a run and three RBI
• Tony Renda played 2B and went 1-for-1 but committed an error
• Steve Souza started in RF and went 0-for-2 with a walk
• Brandon Miller played RF and went 0-for-1 and had an OF assist
The full Cardinals squad visits Viera tomorrow. Stephen Strasburg is expected to pitch. The game will be televised on MASN and can be heard on both AM (1500 and 1580) and FM (106.7).