The Nationals split their third and final doubleheader of the 2014 spring, losing to the Tigers, 2-1 while edging the Astros, 4-3.
In Viera, Jordan Zimmermann let up a 1st-inning run then turned in three scoreless in his fourth spring outing, allowing four hits total, hitting a batter, walking a batter, and striking out three. Sammy Solis followed with two no-hit innings, ending a two-week hiatus due to back problems. He walked just one while fanning none. The loss went to Michael Gonzalez, who gave up a run in the 8th on two hits and a walk.
At Kissimmee, Gio Gonzalez pitched into the 5th, allowing a run on three hits and a walk while setting down four on strikes, which earned him the win by ST scoring. Rafael Soriano followed with the tying runs on base and stranded them. The save went to Manny Delcarmen, who pitched the final two frames while striking out two (both in the 9th).
Here’s a rundown of how the notable minor-leaguers did this afternoon:
• Eury Perez subbed in CF and went 0-for-1
• Justin Bloxom subbed at 1B and went 0-for-1
• Drew Vettleson subbed in RF and went 0-for-1
• Caleb Ramsey subbed in LF and went 0-for-1 with a strikeout
• Jeff Kobernus started at 2B and went 0-for-2 with walk, run, and a stolen base
• Blake Treinen pitched a 1-2-3 ninth with a K
• Cutter Dykstra subbed at 2B and went 0-for-1 with a strikeout
• Stephen Perez subbed at SS and went 0-for-2
• Randolph Oduber pinch-hit for the DH and struck out in his only AB
• Isaac Ballou subbed in LF and went 0-for-2
• Zach Walters started at 3B and went 0-for-5 with three K’s
• Sandy Leon started at C and went 1-for-3
• Steve Souza started in RF and went 3-for-3 with two solo HRs, a triple, and three RBIs
• Brian Goodwin started in CF and went 2-for-3 with a triple and an RBI single
The Nats rematch against the Tigers in Lakeland as a full squad. Tanner Roark is slated to start. The game can be heard on MLB radio.