The Big Nats bullpen getting hammered like a Kennedy at an open bar the past two nights has forced the front office to dip into minors for help, creating a series of transactions. Here’s a recap plus a couple releases relayed via the latest BA transactions post…
• RHP Yunesky Maya recalled from Syracuse
• LHP Fernando Abad selected, added to the 40-man roster
• OF Eury Perez optioned from Washington
• RHP Ryan Perry placed on 7-Day DL, retroactive to May 19
• RHP Rob Gilliam reassigned from Potomac
• RHP Rob Wort activated from 7-Day DL, reassigned from Harrisburg
• OF J.R. Higley promoted from Hagerstown
• RHP Cameron Selik reassigned from XST
• LHP Sammy Solis reassigned from XST
• OF Estarlin Martinez activated from 7-Day DL
• IF Wilmer Difo reassigned from Potomac
• IF Hunter Bailey reassigned to XST
• LHP Christian Meza reassigned from Potomac
• RHP Brian Dupra reassigned from Potomac
• RHP Adam Olbrychowski
• RHP Dean Weaver
LHP Sammy Solis is expected to make a rehab start tonight in Frederick, which will necessitate another move or two for Potomac. OF Billy Burns is eligible to come off the 7-Day DL tomorrow, so don’t be surprised if Higley’s stay is just a day (hey, that rhymes!) and/or if a starter is placed on the 3-day temporary list retroactively (e.g. Rob Gilliam) and replaced by Solis tomorrow or Thursday.
Ultimately, it’s probably a good bet that RHP Pat Lehman will recover from his Hellenic flu and replace whichever Syracuse pitcher ultimately stays in DC to replace the (broken) right-handed Ryan Mattheus. I’d also wager that somebody, somewhere will be disappointed that Erik Davis is probably not going to be that pitcher. Even Stevie Wonder can see that the moves of Maya and Abad are indication that the Nats are willing to risk losing one of them if a designation for assignment is needed.
If you sense any cynicism or hesitation, it’s because every year I learn something new about how the transaction rules
can be exploited work. I believe the retroactive placement of Perry on the DL is a clue that perhaps the plan is merely to skip him for one start. Jeff Mandel, for example, has not pitched since last Friday and would be the favorite to replace Perry, who had been scheduled to start on Thursday.
As always, if/when the Nationals make corresponding moves, this page will be updated.
UPDATE: The Potomac Nationals have announced a series of eight transactions, six of which (in red) were not previously reported.
As expected, Sammy Solis was added to the roster. Less of a surprise: Rob Gilliam being sent back to Harrisburg (which will require a corresponding move). Brian Dupra and Christian Meza being sent to Auburn might just be a procedural move, but unfortunately, could be a clue that one or both might get released. In the short term, the additions of Rob Wort and Cameron Selik should help shore up the P-Nats’ biggest weakness — the bullpen — while allowing both men to get back up to speed (can we keep ‘em until the 1st half title is won?) in preparation for their return to AA.