The Nationals PR staff touted the 8-5 margin in the “H” column, but the Astros took the “R” column by a 3-1 count in the 2012 Grapefruit League opener.
Like yesterday, just one National was successful with a man on second or third, as Jesus Flores followed Roger Bernadina’s leadoff double with one of his own for the single run scored (by pinch-runner Corey Brown). Washington went 1-for-7 with RISP and left six men on for the game.
Edwin Jackson got the start and walked two in his two innings of work, including the first runner of the game, but was unscathed as the infield turned a 4-6-3 DP in each inning. Ross Detwiler followed him and took the loss on a two-run HR in the fourth. Atahualpa Severino gave up the third Houston run in the seventh, surrendering a leadoff triple and hitting a batter, but working around a Carlos Rivero error and inducing the third twin-killing to escape a 1st-and-3rd one-out jam.
Boxscore lines from the minor-leaguers:
- Bryce Harper went 1-for-3, singling off former National Livan Hernandez
- Tyler Moore struck out in two ABs
- Steve Lombardozzi went 0-for-1, but helped turn the third DP
- Anthony Rendon went 0-for-2 as the substitute DH
- Rivero went 0-for-2 and played 3B
- Jhonatan Solano went 0-for-1 and recorded three putouts, but was unsuccessful trying to throw out a runner in the 7th
Tomorrow, the two teams switch venues as the Nationals play host in Viera. The game will be televised live on MASN at 1:05 p.m.